Sea Pools in Benbecula
Below is a guide to fishing the sea pools in Benbecula for Salmon and Sea Trout.
Average fish size – Up to 2lb, bigger fish of up to 3 and 4lbs are regularly caught – largest recorded in last 10 years is 7.5lb sea trout at Strome system and 14lb salmon at South Ford span!
Catch and release is strongly encouraged, thank you.
- 1 Gualan – must be with guide due to sinking sands and tides – GR 781485
- 2 Behind Coop pools running North to Strome Cottages – Can be without guide – GR 797483
- 3 Strome system – Can be without guide – GR 795494
- 4 Behind Dark Island Hotel – Can be without guide – GR782493
- 5 South Ford Span – Can be without guide – GR 803477
- Entrance to sea loch at Strome Cottages – Can be without guide. Not listed below but look to fish as sea water enters loch – approximately 4 hours after low tide listings below.
Tides – Sea pools can only be fished every fortnight due to tidal restrictions. Just before and after either full or new moon phases.
Information below shows most productive fishing times, it is not possible to fish from 1 to 5 in sequence without missing the best times at each location. Wind direction influences where fishing is possible.
WATCH THE TIDE – WITHOUT EXCEPTION, DO NOT CROSS CHANNELS UNLESS YOU HAVE A GUIDE OTHERWISE YOU MAY BE STRANDED/CUT OFF BY THE TIDE.
BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND EXIT ROUTE.
PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE A MOBILE PHONE OR SOME FORM OF COMMUNICATION WITH YOU.
IF YOUR EXIT ROUTE IS CUT OFF BY THE TIDE, PHONE COAT GUARD IMMEDIATELY OR DIAL 999. IF YOU CAN, SAFELY MAKE YOUR WAY TO ANY ISLAND THAT HAS A GRASS TOP – THIS SIGNIFIES IT DOES NOT GET COVERED BY THE TIDE.
TIDES CAN BE INFLUENCED BY WINDS AND WEATHER/PRESSURE: EG, AN INCOMING TIDE WITH THE WIND BEHIND IT WILL FLOOD FASTER THAN IT WOULD WITH THE WIND AGAINST IT – FOR EXACT TIDE TIMES, PLEASE CHECK WITH COAST GUARD (01851 702013) OR TIDE TABLES.